While we think that our pets fur will keep them insulated & protect them from the elements it is a good idea to provide added warmth and protection from those freezing cold days and nights.
Some tips for providing extra warmth for your pets are:
- Provide a warm enclosure for your pet to sleep in that not exposed to the elements.
- Elevate their sleeping quarters off the ground this is particularly relevant for older arthritic pets
- Provide extra blankets that are warm & dry
- Provide your animal with a pet coat
- On extra cold days you can place a warm hot water bottle underneath their bedding inside their enclosures, to add extra warmth
- If your pet is an indoors you can always snuggle up with them on the couch, but always make sure they have a space they can go to if they feel they need to get away from the warmth of the room
- It also important to keep up with exercising your pet, providing a balanced diet & plenty of water during the winter months.
Lucky Pet says a HUGE THANKS to Dr Rebecca Bugg and VetCall Melbourne for this timely post!